Monday, February 20, 2017

Rhett - Two Weeks In

Whats up everybody,
I love this place. The work is going great, the people are the best, and the food is great, what more could you ask for, haha. I'll just start off by sharing two cool things that happened last week.

Last week we were walking around a neighborhood just contacting trying to find people to teach. We had been walking around for awhile not really finding many people when all of the sudden this girl that was outside her house yelled "Elders." We were like what the heck so we went over and started talking to her. When we were talking to her she showed us something that was in her hand. In her hand she was a holding a picture with a past sister missionary that had talked to her a few months back. I don'tknow why she was holding that picture at that moment but I think it was kind of a miracle. She wasn't even in the records or anything when we looked for people to teach. She was super excited to talk with us so we came to her house and talked to her and her mom. I guess she really likes the church and wants to come to our church but her mom is a hard core Paraguayan and doesn't want her daughter to go. Her mom basically only speaks Guaranee so its kinda hard to understand her. Her name is Rosalina. She is super awesome, we just got to gain her moms trust.

Another cool thing that happened. I think it was later that night, we were walking by this pizza shop and this guy yelled out "Hey, where are you from?" This happens a lot here because everyone can tell I am an American. I told him I was from California and he told us that he lived in New York for like 14 years and that he could speak some english. We got talking with him and his wife and his wife is Columbian. The guys name is Jorge and he is from Paraguay. They live here now and work at this pizzaria. They actually cook real pizza too, haha. Normally the pizza here isnt really the same as US pizza so I was pretty excited about that. Anyways we started talking to them outside there pizzaria about the Book of Mormon and how it talks about the people living in the Americas. They seemed super interested and the lessom was great. We are going to try and teach them again this week. They are super awesome. We always pass their pizzaria when going to contact other people and always stop by and say hi. They are always super busy so we are just trying to find a time to teach them. I thought it was kind of a miracle that we found them because he could speak a little English. I feel like we made a connection with them through communticating a little in english and talking about pizza, haha. I love it.

Lastly, I just want to talk about this family we have been teaching. They are the Espenola family. The parents were not married legally but were married in another church many years ago. They have six kids. A 20 year old boy, 18 year old girl, 16 year old girl, 12 year old boy, and two younger daughters that I think are like 4 and 7. I love this family, they are awesome. They have been taught by two other sets of missionaries before us but have never been baptized. I feel like they know the church is true, but they are just scared to act. In one of our lessons this week we talked about the Gospel of Jesus Christ and about some of the steps we take to live the gospel. Faith, Repentance, Baptism, and the Holy Ghost. As we were teaching them I could tell that they thought that missionaries were just there to get them baptized. It seemed like they knew what we were saying was true but they just thought a lot of previous missionaries were just trying to baptize them and that's it. I was able to testify to them that we were not there just to baptize them. That was not why we were there at all. We were there because we want to help them in their lives. The gospel has blessed our lives so much that we know it can bless theirs. We know that if you take these steps you can recieve so many blessings from the gospel. After I said this, the father said that he could feel the Spirit and that he felt good about it. This was the best lesson of the mission so far. It was awesome. We told them to pray about what we said to know if it's true. We are going to keep teaching them and see how they are feeling. I know that they are ready for the gospel in their lives, they just need to act.

Sorry this letter is so long, but the work is awesome here. I love this place and the people. I know that the Gospel brings joy into the lives of those who find it. If we live the Gospel and follow the Savior, our lives will be changed! This week I was reading in Alma 26. It really inspired me as a missionary. I want to challenge you guys to read it in the Book of Mormon. The Gospel brings Joy!

I love you guys and hope you have a great week!


-Some of the Elders in our zone at Pizza Hut today during PDAY. Yeah they have a Pizza Hut in the Centro where the big city is haha. You can pay like 15 dollars and its all you can eat pizza. Haha its the best!

-A cool bridge we found walking around in someones backyard

-Some of the food we ate at a members house. We pretty much always have some kind of pasta with chicken. Its the bomb

-We got to play pool during Pday, You already know who won​

No comments:

Post a Comment